Thursday 25 September 2014

WHAT NAÏVE USERS CAN DO WITH DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING



          Distributed computing is a common term when coming across parallel computing. Any task which is done by more than one device can be considered as distributed computing. It sounds fairly simple but the problem is, most people do not realize that the concept of distributed computing is just around in their daily life activities. Back in the old days, when the usage of thumb drives start getting popular, people transfer files by using thumb drives. At that particular time, thumb drives are considered useful and have increase the level of convenience during any computational activities.

          Now many of you may be asking: Am I going away from the topic “Distributed computing”? Be patient. I’m just giving examples. There are many examples regarding the usage of thumb drives, but I’m going to give an example which is close to us: The usage of thumb drives in the university environment.

          I believe that most of you have suffered the experience of burning midnight oil, cracking your heads, not head. I’m talking about group assignments. That some of them are indeed really heavy that you and your friends have to get awake until 5.00am or even after that. At this time, group works have to be accomplished using thumb drives. Each member participates in each different part of the group assignments. At the middle of the teamwork, team members may find it necessary to transfer a file, e.g. a word document, an excel document, or a piece of source code to their other teammates for purposes such combining their work or correcting any mistakes. Therefore thumb drives play their big roles in this particular file transfer. I believe that even most of the IT students in UniSZA do this! I’m pretty confirmed, because I’m also a part of this.

          Since my friends and I have lived in rental house outside house and own a 4Mb Streamyx Internet package in our rental house, I’m no longer have interest of using thumb drives anymore. We starts doing a task using LAN. Now this may sounds related to the topic. I have created a workgroup in our house via the ADSL modem/router that we have purchased. Every computer which is connected to our workgroup can interact with other computers such as doing assignments, file transfer and of course, playing DoTA. Since the installation of Internet, I am no longer using my thumb drives for file transferring. Instead, my thumb drives are used only for backup purposes or if the router fails. I know this seems too simple and some of you may think that this method of simple distributed computing is not worth to be posted here. But I still want to share with you and if possible, I am going to show you how to make it in your home so you can actually doing assignments with your housemates using LAN. Stay tuned for my next post on how to make a workgroup in your home as well. 

From Pang Kok An a.k.a Pang

No comments:

Post a Comment